Christ Church stands in the heart of our historic city. The town of Macon was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in December, 1822. Three years later, the Rev. Lot Jones traveled on a missionary tour to the new town and helped to establish the congregation of Christ Church. The Church was officially incorporated in 1825, and is known as the first church in Macon, Georgia. The first church building, located on our present one-acre lot, was opened for services in 1834 and was consecrated in 1838. The growing congregation of Christ Church quickly outgrew the first building, which was torn down and replaced in 1851 by the present stucco-over-brick, Gothic style building.