The M. E. Roden Library is located in Hawkinsville, Georgia, 140 miles southwest of Atlanta. The historic town of Hawkinsville is situated on the banks of the Ocmulgee River. The Pulaski County Library (renamed the M. E. Roden Library) joined the Ocmulgee Regional Library System in 1971. Pulaski County formed its first library as early as 1878. “In the year of 1878 a petition for the charter for the incorporation of our Public Library and Literacy Society was signed by prominent citizens…”. (according to DAR records). Unfortunately, the library became inactive in 1897 and its possessions were sold at an auction later that same year. The Uplift Club organized another library in 1910. In 1936, the WPA extended much needed support to the library and assisted it in its growth. The facility has continued offering library service from that year until the present. This library was named in memory of Ms. M. E. Roden who served as librarian for twenty-five years. She worked very often without pay and toiled until she was too frail and feeble to walk up the steps of the building where the collection was housed. At that point, she had someone carry her up the stairs. It seems fitting that the library was named for her since she was so devoted to it.