IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled. Please CLICK HERE for the latest information about cancellations.
The Confederate Memorial to Men of Bibb County has been standing watch in downtown Macon since 1879. The unnamed man represents those killed during the Civil War between 1861 and 1865. As many as 45,000 people packed downtown Macon on October 29, 1879, when the statue was first erected close to the Bibb County Courthouse. The Georgia State Fair used the dedication to draw more people to Macon and away from a rival fair in Atlanta. Gov. Alfred H. Colquitt attended the ceremony, which included a
Date created: 1879
Dimensions: 20 ft. tall